Why I Blog Disney

This was the last time all seven of our kids went with us on family vacation when we visited Disneyland in 2009.
I'd be lying to myself if I ever thought my Walt Disney World blog would ever get the traffic that soooooooooo many Walt Disney World fan or fanatic blogs get.

We visited with just the boys in February 2015.  Our daughter, the oldest, was married and had two babies by this time.
I read an article from one Disney fan/atic blogger stating that every Disney fan, or addict should blog
Disney.  Not because they have the monopoly on tips, or secrets, and not because they have the best photos.  She said every Disney fan should blog their trip reports and thoughts because everyone is an individual and each person's experience is unique, and that the things they might learn with their experience might help someone else out.  I loved the sweetness and un-Disney-snobbiness of this blogger and her advice.

However, when I go to these other more popular blogs I tell myself things like, "You will never get the backing, the traffic, or the exposure.  There are too many Disney blogs."  "You need a better camera, you will never be able to compete with the other photographers out there."  "You don't have the guts to lie on the ground in front of the crowd and take photo like that."  "You will never have the guts to stand on a platform with a bright light and have someone "film" your vlog post right in front of the crowd."

There are a lot of negative reasons that have crossed by mind as to why I should not waste my time.  Many times I've told myself, "Leave your camera at home and just enjoy the experience without having to lug it around.'

But the thought of not having this purpose depresses me.  Why?  Because I get great joy writing about my family's adventures in making these memories together.  Also, I love to write, and it seems that whenever I blog about food, politics, or religion, I feel like someone is going to be highly offended.

Disney is a pretty fun and neutral topic to write about.

It was 40 degrees this day.  We rarely wear ponchos to ride the Kali River Rapids, but on this February 2015 date it was too cold to start the day out wet.
I used to just put my Disney memories on Facebook, and it was difficult for me to write meaningful captions, let alone the story behind the photos and memories.  Now, with this blog, I can tell the story behind the memories, and maybe, just maybe somebody else will get something useful from my trip reports and photos.

This week, as I finished my post, about Epcot at Night, and as I was rereading the post, I was surprised by the huge level of satisfaction I received rereading the post.  I wasn't reading it to anyone but myself, and there were no comments from anyone.  It was just me and my post, and as I reread, all of the sudden I was surprised by the feelings of great joy I was receiving from reading about that evening that my family had just spent together.

It wasn't making me happy because it was the best trip report that any Walt Disney Blogger ever wrote.  Not because the photos were the best photos that any Walt Disney World Blogger ever took.
That post put a huge smile on my face because that Epcot trip was one of the most spontaneous, enjoyable, and relaxing three hours I had ever had with my family at Walt Disney World, and the post was bringing back the memories.  I went and visited that post a dozen times! I keep going back over and over again to read that post just to relive the memories!!

As I went through this surprising realization, my desire to blog grew stronger, and I realized this is why I blog Disney.

My family has the fortune to be able to live close enough to use this as our family activity.  I am well aware of the blessing that is, and it is a dream I never expected would come true.  I am humbled and don't take that blessing lightly.

Now permanent residents, we only have three boys left at home, and our oldest son was visiting right after we moved to Central Florida in December 2016.  The children grow so fast.  He is now married also. These photos are precious to me.
Each time, before we leave to drive down from our house to the WDW attractions, we express in prayer that we understand that this is a blessing that we should never take for granted, and that it's a blessing we might not always have.

We have enjoyed making this place as our place where family goes to reset between the periods of hard work.  Some people golf, some people go boating, some people do crafts.  Our out of pocket costs for this reset actually cost less per year than my past crafting hobbies.  Yes, I understand that the annual pass makes it possible.

But, to keep ourselves grounded, we try to work as hard as we can between our Disney visits because "where much is given, much is required", and we try to show our gratitude by working hard between our visits to bless and serve others.

So, when we do go together it is our time as a family to make cherished and appreciated memories and to unwind and forget, temporarily, about our troubles.  The trip reports I blog on this blog is an expression of that gratitude, and and my gratitude grows everytime I go back and read my posts and look at my photos of my cherished family.

It wouldn't matter if this blog never received a huge following.
This is for my family and me, and the memories it brings back puts a huge smile on my face everytime I go back and visit my posts.



Comments

Popular Posts