My Central Florida Beach of Choice......so far..... Ponce Inlet




Next to being close to Walt Disney World, being close to the beach was what my family was most excited about when we learned we were moving to Florida.

Since coming here last December (2015), we have been to Cocoa Beach, a beach that we have been to several times during our vacations to Florida since 2007, New Smyrna Beach, which is the one closest to us, Daytona Beach, Siesta Key Beach, Cape Canerval Beach (also one of my favorites), and Ponce Inlet Beach.

Siesta Key Beach has been voted America's #1 beach, but I prefer Ponce Inlet. To me, it is truly a beautiful beach.

It is located in between Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach.

It has a beautiful lighthouse that you can see from the beach, a large lifeguard tower, a modern jetty that separates it from New Smyrna Beach, less sharks, and ubleck sand.

TannerBananner on his way down to the beach.  You can see the changing/bathroom facility to the left, and of course, the Lighthouse
The life guard tower is not always manned when we go, but usually they at least have the warning flags posted for water coniditions and sea life flag warnings, i.e. jelly fish and sharks

My oldest son and his wife standing on the Ponce Inlet Jetty overlooking the Ponce de Leon Inlet which separates Ponce Inlet beach from New Smyrna Beach.  Often one can see schools of dolphins swimming around in the inlet.


I call the sand ubleck because, just like the sand of all of the beaches in this area, it is hard and stable when you knead it, but when you stop kneading it, it turns into liquid, just like watered down cornstarch does (watered cornstarch is called ubleck).  The kids love playing in this sand.

My 14 year-old and his four-year-old nephew playing in the "ubleck sand".


The walk from the parking lot is quite a distance, and you do have to pay a park entrance fee of $10, but this fee and the walk is what makes the park less crowded.

The beach has board-walked walkways through nature preserves that are gorgeous especially with the lighthouse in the view.
Walking up the boardwalk through the preserve.

There are about six changing rooms/toilet rooms for each gender at the parking lot.



Ponce Inlet was once the construction site for a large luxury hotel that was being built, called Inlet Terrace.  It was destroyed by a hurricane in 1926 before the hotel was ever completed.  Throughout the beach you can find pieces of red brick in the sand that come from the hotel.



Well, I guess that's all of the information I have about Ponce Inlet Beach.  Below I've posted pictures of my family enjoying this beautiful beach.

The grandkids are getting are meeting the ocean for the first time.

What a beautiful day it was!  I think this was actually taken on Christmas Eve!

My husband and myself.  I don't know what we are looking at, but I guess it was interesting.

One of his few days off to enjoy life.

My son-in-law and his oldest.  

Grandpa and our oldest grandchild.

My sixteen year-old, taking his turn guarding the camp.

Pelicans are abundant a Ponce Inlet Beach.

His first day at the beach since he was six-monts old when he was too young to remember the beach.

A family photo of my oldest child, my daughter and her family.

I'm a pelican lover


This has to be one of the prettiest sunsets I have ever seen.



Comments

  1. Love the idea of you doing a blog. Thank you for sharing your family time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts